The Oregonian

August 15, 1974

By Oregonian Staff Writer

Storm falls, 38-16

Sherman spurs Stars

NEW YORK - Quarterback Tom Sherman capitalizing on numerous Portland mistakes, passed to veteran wide receiver George Sauer for two touchdowns and ran for another Wednesday night, leading the New York Stars to a 38-16 rout of the Storm in a World Football League game at Downing Stadium.

Two first-period touchdowns and one each in the remaining quarters gave the Stars their fourth straight win before 16,222 at the Randalls Island facility on the East River.

It was the fifth loss of the season for Portland, after a tie last week against Houston, and kept the Storm and Detroit the only WFL team's without a victory this season. The Wheels lost to Memphis 37-7.

Bergey injured

Sherman, a three-year pro out of Penn State, bootlegged for six yards around right end then passed to Al Young for the action point with only 4:30 gone in the first stanza. The score was set up when Ed White recovered Darrell Mitchell's fumble of a punt return on the Storm five-yard line.

With 15 seconds remaining in the opening period, Sherman hit Sauer for a 20-yard scoring play. The 29-year-old signal caller then hit a swing pass to Dave Richards for the action point. The drive covered 73 yards in eight plays.

Defensive end Bruce Bergey of Portland was injured on the first play of the New York series and did not return to action.

New York added its third TD in the second quarter when the Stars stayed on the ground with former Notre Dame running backs Bob Gladieux and Andy Huff moving 43 yards in six plays. Huff broke over from four yards out for the score, but Sherman's action point pass to Sauer was incomplete. The Stars led 23-0 at the half.

Portland drove inside the Stars' 40-yard line twice during the second period but could not score. With 11 minutes remaining in the half, quarterback Ken Johnson had a pass intercepted and backup Greg Barton moved the Storm to the New York 23 before a pass failed off a fake field goal.

Johnson, the rookie who replaced Barton last week against Houston, suffered a badly bruised shoulder and did not return to action in the second half.

The Stars' relentless drive continued in the second half. Starting from their own 31, they moved to the Storm three, then Sherman rifled a pass over the middle to Sauer for another touchdown.

Sherman suffered a slightly bruised hip late in the third period, and rookie Gary Danielson from Purdue took over to direct the Stars 49 yards for their final touchdown.

Barton, who was booed by a hometown crowd last week, finally put Portland on the board, but it was too late. He connected with wide receiver Jim Krieg for 15 yards, capping a drive that started on the Portland 20. Mitchell ran the action point with 1:43 left in the game.

New York, attempting to run out the clock, had to punt with 10 seconds. Robby Reynolds' boot was blocked by cornerback Ray Jones and the Storm took over on the Stars' 12-yard stripe with two seconds left.

Barton hit Ken Matthews on the one and the wide receiver fell in for the score. Marv Kendricks, Portland's leading rusher, ran the action point.

Woodcock intercepts

The score could have been worse, considering Portland's mistake-ridden play in the fourth period the Storm drove to the New York 10 but Jeff Woodcock intercepted a Barton aerial and dashed 90 yards for an apparent touchdown. It was nullified by a clipping penalty at the Storm 44.

Of the 16,222 fans who were counted, the crowd included 1,360 on free tickets and 950 more on discount ducats.

The Storm travels to Orlando, Florida next Wednesday to meet the Florida Blazers.